With each child I have done this simple experiment to show why we don’t eat
All you need is a coffee filter, a cup and some snow.
Include All Your Children
- Place a handful of snow in the filter and wait for it to melt.
- What temperature is the snow?
- How long did it take for snow to melt?
- What properties of matter did you see? Did it change at all?
- How does the paper filter work?
- What temperature is the melted snow?
- What is left in the filter (if you have microscope you could make a slide)
- Should you eat snow?
The little ones are always AMAZED at what is in our seemingly sparkly white snow. I should add they were amazed with scrunched up noses…Yuck!
Fast – Easy -Fun !
Get out there to do this, if you have snow, and have some fun!
Don’t forget to write in and let me know 1 (or more) reaction your child(ren) had.
Want more ideas to have fun out in the snow? “More Snow Fun” covers more of our favourite winter activities!